December 03, 2012

Berlinde de Bruyckere

                                 photo by Carinne
My friend Carine, who now lives in Nairobi, shared the above photograph of this major sculpture of one of Belgium's most interesting artists, Berlinde de Bruyckere. The lifesize representation of a horse is now on display in the residence of the Belgian Ambassador there.
Berlinde's work is shown together with a local artists expositon  Funika-Fufuka (Cover-Recover) curated by Gonda Geets, a Belgian artist who lives in Nairobi. Funika-Fufuka’s theme is what the catalogue calls the history of humanity, with all the nuances of pain and healing, vulnerability and violence that entails.
http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/magazine/Dazzling-display-that-lifts-spirit/-/434746/1633494/-/5l8571z/-/index.html
http://www.hanstheys.be/artists/berlinde_de_bruyckere/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlinde_de_Bruyckere

12 comments:

  1. I had to stand on my head, but I finally saw it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I had to do the same thing!! Amazing, different, but beautiful!! Thanks for sharing hope you have a great week, Anni!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very strange piece of art.

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me too! Very interesting and unusual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Franchement, appeler cela de l'art, me semble un peu exagéré.

    ReplyDelete
  6. een dame die iets met paarden heeft..

    fijne dag Anni

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be nice to learn what people in Nairobi think about this sculpture!
    I quite like her art.

    ReplyDelete
  8. even kijken hoe het zit en ja, ik snap het.
    Lieve groeten, Dietmut

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao Anni, devo dire che a me nn piace molto.
    Buona serata, a presto.
    Antonella

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am confused as to how it will be mounted on a stand...Which I think would make a big difference? Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dit is wel heel speciaal!

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow, looks interesting. I've never heard of Berlinde de Bruyckere. will check her out. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete